Sustainability is a living practice. It’s what drives us to make the new life of work better.
Every product and process we create today is shaped by our commitment to sustainability. Our goals are based in both science and sensibility, with immediate and long-term outcomes that impact our footprint as well as our customers’ wellbeing.
To do this, we’re envisioning what sustainable work truly means. We’re answering why environmental expectations are changing what workspaces and workers need. We’re addressing what we design, how we make it — and who is affected, from the designer in the studio to the factory worker to each person in their workplace. Because, if sustainability benefits the greater ecosystem, we know it’s just as good for people.
When a place is thriving, the people in it can, too. That’s true for everyone.
And it links us together, everywhere.
To this cause we bring our deep roots in life-cycle and biophilic design thinking. Sustainability is a criterion throughout our development process, from the selection of materials and partners along the supply chain to our production and logistics — all with the achievement of third-party certifications. Through our rigorous research, design, engineering, testing and certifying, we can develop higher performing, responsible furnishings that are built to last, so that they’re longer in use and kept out of the landfill.
To create enduring designs that take less from the environment and add more to our wellbeing — that’s how we help make the new life of work better.
As part of Steelcase Inc. and its commitment to sustainability, all Coalesse-branded products adhere to the same strict compliance and sustainability standards and have contributed to all Steelcase sustainability accomplishments in the past decade, including:
– Complete carbon neutrality as of 2020, with the goal of building a decarbonized future by reducing absolute emissions in Steelcase owned-facilities by 50% by 2030
– The reduction of greenhouse gas emissions by 34%, exceeding our original target of 25%
– The reduction of landfill waste by 36%, including the donation and recycling of 10 tons of fabric and leather
– The continual assessment of materials to understand their potential impacts on human and environmental health — a practice that has already led to an 83% reduction in Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
– Investments in renewable energy equivalent to 100% of our global electricity use
– ISO 14001 certification of 89% of manufacturing locations
– BIFMA LEVEL (A multi-attribute sustainability standard specifically for contract furniture):
– SCS Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) (An EPA-recognized certification of a product’s contribution to healthy indoor air):
– LEED and WELL (Globally recognized symbols of sustainability achievement and leadership within buildings and communities):
– BIFMA LEVEL 1 (Targeting LEVEL 2 or 3) and SCS IAQ Gold certifications on all new Coalesse-branded products going forward
– Ongoing life-cycle initiatives to retroactively achieve BIFMA Level and IAQ for older products — with a target of 100% compliance for applicable products by the end of 2022
– Growth in transparency around product materials and chemistry, working within our supply chain to eliminate materials of concern wherever possible
– Continued development of products that integrate elements of nature and a blend of sustainable materials, to contribute to greater employee wellbeing
Need help? Let the Coalesse
Concierge Team assist with